Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Crayons, Crayola To Be Exact

Whether you say 'crans' or 'cray-ons' we all loved them the same.



Drawing pictures of cartoon house...
Or an absolute master piece.


We all started our artistic lives with crayons. 

At some point in time we drifted away from the use of crayons. Or most of us at least. On to more intricate art supplies.

I remember distinctly the day I stopped using crayons. I was in second grade in the back of the classroom by the crayon drawers reaching in to find the perfect brown to color a horse with. The first one I pulled out was sienna.

Pulling it out I read it, "Sienna..." next I scoffed "what kind of name is that?" To which I saw something that to this day breaks my heart. I turned around and this girl said to me with tears welling up in her eyes

"But... My name is Sienna..." 

Completely embarrassed I stuttered around to fix what I had just said. 

"Well yeah and it's a very beautiful name! It's just weird for a crayon silly!" 

She didn't look convinced and walked away back to her seat. 

From that day on I've always been ashamed when I see crayons. Especially Crayola. Especially sienna. 

I've given up on drawing horses. I'll stick to houses. 

1 comment: